The Princeton Public Arts Commission, in a collaborative effort with North Central Illinois Artworks (NCIA), created a public art installation on South Main Street in Princeton. Mary Uthoff (1886-1974) was a long-time Bureau County educator and served as Superintendent of Bureau County Schools from 1924-1936.
Ottawa artist Susan Burton was commissioned to create original mosaic-covered furniture for the walkway. Jyl Morse, owner of Hoffman’s Patterns of the Past, donated china to be used in the mosaic process. Colored shade sails act as a virtual rooftop and provide an inviting aesthetic. The project was supported with $10,000 in tourism dollars with the remainder of the $20,000 raised by the community and grant funding. The Princeton team of commissioners was very excited to bring public art to Main Street!
Continued financial support is greatly appreciated! Donations can be made by clicking here.
You can also mail a check to the SRCCF, 718 Columbus Street, Ottawa, IL 61350. Checks should be made payable to SRCCF, with “Memorial Walkway” in the memo.